Rhubarb Custard Pie

9:38 AM

There is nothing that says spring like rhubarb!  The rhubarb in our garden is going to town.  I decided to make a pie.  I didn't have any strawberries on hand and didn't feel like going to the market.  So I made a Rhubarb Custard Pie using a recipe that my good friend Penny gave me.  I first made a single Foolproof Pie Crust with vodka.  (I think I got this recipe from Cooks Country or America's Test Kitchen, but I'm not sure which one).

Foolproof Pie Crust with Vodka- makes a single pie crust.  I don't have a big enough food processor to make a double, so I make this recipe twice if I need to.


In a food processor mix together-
1 1/4 C flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
Add-
6 T chilled butter cut into 1/4 inch pieces
4 T chilled vegetable shortening (Crisco)
Mix until even clumps
Then add in pulses scraping the sides
2 T chilled Vodka (now come on, who doesn't have their vodka in the freezer anyway?)
2 T ice water 
Wrap and chill.  Work on a pretty evenly floured surface and roll out.
Rhubarb Custard Pie

3 eggs
2 2/3 T milk
2 C sugar
4 T flour
3/4 t nutmeg
4 C chopped rhubarb
1 T butter

Beat eggs slightly.  Add milk.  Mix sugar, flour and nutmeg.  Stir into egg mixture.  Add rhubarb.  Pour into a pastry lined pan and dot with butter.  Cover with lattice top (I had enough dough left over from the single pie crust to make my lattice top).  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes until nicely browned.  Serve slightly warm.

As is my habit, I just chopped the fruit and didn't measure it before I put it into the egg mixture.  I know there was more than 4 cups of rhubarb and I neglected to add more flour.  My custard is a bit on the runny side in the middle.
But it still tastes great.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. This looks so tasty! I wish my husband would eat rhubarb, we have a ton of it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing! i usually use the standard cook's illustrated recipe for pie crust, but i've been meaning to try out their vodka crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the vodka crust. I find it is much easier to roll out than the standard crust.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yummy!! Thank you for this recipe - going to try it just as soon as I get a surface cleaned up in the kitchen :)
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I recognize the crust - it is the "Foolproof Pie Dough" from America's Test Kitchen (https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/3919-foolproof-pie-dough)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to order one for our visit, please! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GoodReads

Featured Post

My Path To Debt

My path to debt started when I was 20. It was my junior year at college and I had just bought textbooks for the spring semester. In each ...