My Life with Diabetes

7:15 PM

My life with Type 1 Diabetes started a week before I turned 34. I had Lasik surgery the year before and when I woke up and everything was blurry I got concerned. Turns out my blood glucose was so high it was effecting my vision. I went to the doctor and got the life altering news. I then spent the next two weeks going to the diabetes center every day so they could adjust my insulin levels for that day. I spent several weeks in denial, but mostly accepted the diagnoses. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an auto-immune disease. Turns out if you have one auto-immune disease it is easier to get another...your body attacks itself. In the grand scheme of auto-immune diseases diabetes is inconvenient, but if I take of myself it is livable and not debilitating like multiple sclerosis, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis.

Fast forward nine years. As a diabetic of "advanced maternal age" I had a pretty easy pregnancy until 32 weeks. I had a wonderful team of doctors who I saw every two weeks to adjust my insulin levels and monitor my pregnancy. I took such good care of my blood glucose levels that my A1C (a three month blood glucose test) was 7 (which is really good). However, once Corrine was born, my numbers are all over the place. I forget to eat and I've already bolused (take my insulin via insulin pump). Or I eat and forget to bolus. Neither of which is good.

Take today for example...my pump ran out of insulin this morning after breakfast. I forgot to change it. Basically I've been without insulin all day. The pump is always giving little bursts of insulin throughout the day based on individual settings. I'm scared to check my BG because I know it is really high. Today I'm in denial.

I would like to live long enough to see my daughter grow up so I need start (again) checking my BG at every meal and a few hours after to make sure my insulin dose was correct. Maybe this blog will help?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GoodReads

Featured Post

My Path To Debt

My path to debt started when I was 20. It was my junior year at college and I had just bought textbooks for the spring semester. In each ...