Yarn Along

6:00 AM

It's Wednesday again and that means it's time for yarn Along.  I'm joining with Ginny and everyone to share what we we've been working on and what we've been reading.  I have been working pretty  much since December 19th so I've not really gotten a lot accomplished.  The most freeing feeling, though, is that I've finished my final square for the square swap group on ravelry.  I forgot the take a picture before I mailed them, but my October square was a 12x12 log cabin square using scrap yarn in the tropical colors the member requested.  It looked random enough to look really cool.  

I am on the last 8 row lace repeat of the Helena sweater I'm making for a sweet little baby girl.  I made the 6 month size figuring she would be able to wear it in spring and early summer when it is cool in the evening.  I'm using Quince and Co Chickadee in Pomegranate.
I'm reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed.  She wrote the book about her solo hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. She was at a time in her life when she needed to find out who she was...her mother had died, her family drifted away and she got divorced because she had made some bad decisions.  She was completely out of her element at the beginning of her hike.  I'm about a one third of the way through the book and she has just taken a bus to Reno because the snow was too deep in the Sierras and she couldn't hike through.  

The other book I'm reading on my ipad is Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal.  Maggie Hope is British by birth, but has been raised by an Aunt in Boston.  She goes back to London to sell her grandmothers house and decides to stay.  It is the beginning of WWII.  Maggie becomes a typist in the secretary pool for Winston Churchill.  She can't become a secretary to him because that is a man's role.  Maggie is a mathematician and soon is helping the war effort.  There is a mystery to the story as well, although I have not gotten that far.  I am enjoying this book so far, but the jury is still out on the writing.  

Happy Yarn Along Wednesday! 

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. that second book sounds interesting! Might have to add that on my list. Love the color of the lace sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like two interesting reads! The sweater looks beautiful so far. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty pretty sweater!!! (need to add that churchill book to the queue!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, what a pretty pattern and the colour is gorgeous. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Wild. I'm a backpacker myself and really enjoyed reading about her rookie mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to read Wild for awhile now, are you enjoying it?

    Isn't it fun knitting with Quince yarn? It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Churchill's Secretary does sound a good read thanks I'll put it in my to read list

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read "Wild" yet, but it sounds so interesting! I love hiking, but I don't think I'd like to do it on my own - still, reading about her experience might change my mind, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweater is really pretty. The color is so lovely! I've wanted to read Wild for a while now so I need to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both books sound really interesting.

    Congrats on finishing up the last of your squares!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely knit and the colour is lovely! the second book on Churchill etc sounds fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely project, the colour is gorgeous.

    The books you are reading sound really interesting, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wild is scheduled to come out as a movie later this year starring Reese Witherspoon, in case you're interested. :) (I'm not connected to the movie or anything, but I saw a list of "16 books that will be movies this year" or something just yesterday and "Wild" was on it).

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GoodReads

Featured Post

My Path To Debt

My path to debt started when I was 20. It was my junior year at college and I had just bought textbooks for the spring semester. In each ...