The Garden This Week- - Aug 9th

8:44 AM

We've had some unseasonably cool weather here in the Denver area.  Like in the 60's and 70's.  It's nice for the people and big black dogs.  My garden however... those heat loving tomatoes are not sure what is going on.  This little tomato is a volunteer from last year.  It is growing in the area that we referred to as the "tomato jungle" so I'm not sure what kind of tomato it will turn out to be.  Right now it is growing gangbusters while some of the others are just blah.  I'm a little concerned that I won't have ripe tomatoes for tomato sauce.  And that just scares me.  
volunteer tomato
We did finally get some broccoli.  I think the cool weather has helped with that.  The cucumbers are coming in as well.  Our first lemon cucumbers are growing and we are anticipating munching on them!
lemon cucumber
This past week I pulled the rest of the beets and pickled them.  Hubby loves his pickled beets and that is the only reason they are growing in the garden.   The bibb lettuce bolted ages ago, but I've left in the garden to pick for the chickies as an evening treat.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I've never heard of a lemon cucumber before...how neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our tomatoes are slowing down because of cooler weather as well. We have lots on the vine, they're just not ripening. Never thought I'd say this, but I hope it warms up soon! Just for the garden; I don't care for hot weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious of your cooler weather, here I am melting.

    We are big pickled beet eaters too. This year I made them with honey instead of sugar, I hope they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are funny about the beets. I am not a big fan of pickled beets but would eat them cooked. Our garden is being weird I think it's because of all the cloudy days and no sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cooler than normal here in NM as well...strange weather indeed. I am definitely wondering about all of my green tomatoes and am trying to be positive about the potential for vine ripened tomatoes instead of fried green ones ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GoodReads

Featured Post

My Path To Debt

My path to debt started when I was 20. It was my junior year at college and I had just bought textbooks for the spring semester. In each ...